Student Services A-Z


CAD Student Services from A through Z (for undergrads)


  • Pre-certification Audit.  A complete audit that identifies the remaining courses needed to fulfill graduation requirements.
    o You will receive an email invitation to apply for graduation through SIS. Please do so ASAP.
    o Audits are completed in the order we receive the online submission of your Application for Graduation. You will receive an email that will list your remaining degree requirements.
  • Final Certification
    o You must apply to graduate. You will receive an email invitation to apply through SIS.
    o Your records will be reviewed at the end of the term in which you indicated on your Application for Graduation.
    o If you have met all the requirements for graduation, your degree will be certified.
    o If you have not met all the requirements for graduation, you will receive a letter (sent to your home address) listing the remaining requirements and your expected graduation will be rolled to the next term.

Be Responsible

  • New this year: Degree Audit!  Use it to stay on track and to know where which courses count towards your degree requirements (located in SIS under the Student Center drop-down box, titled “Academic Requirements”)
  • Keep up-to-date planning sheets and copies of any paperwork you receive together in your silver orientation folder.
  • Post your grades on your Planning Sheet from your grade report or SIS every term.
  • Be aware of deadlines (ex. Last day to Add/Drop or Last day to withdraw from a course).
  • Follow paperwork through the signature process yourself. Do not trust someone else to be responsible for your paperwork.
  • Meet with your advisor regularly to stay on track.
  • Use the planning sheet that CAD Student Services gives you in Fall Semester.  It is essential that you follow the program for the year that you started in.  If you misplace your planning sheet, ask the Student Services Office for another copy.


Financial Aid – Samantha Perez   585-475-2186

Disability, Honors, Study Abroad – Debbie Kingsbury – 585-475-5154

Liberal Arts – Tammi Wickson – 585-475-5267

Co-op  You may access the RIT Office of Career Services and Cooperative Education staff directory here: RIT Co-op/Career Services Staff

         Just type in your major and the Career Services Coordinator for your major will be listed!

Don’t forget to meet with your academic advisor periodically (prior to registration dates).

Early Alert System – Your professor may send you an Academic Alert notice via email regarding your academic performance.  Don’t Ignore!

Formslocated on the Office of the Registrar website

  • Change of Program/Plan Form – to change academic programs *Signatures needed of new program chair and former chair*
  • Double Major Authorization– to officially declare or remove a double major.
  • Dual Degree Authorization– to officially declare or remove a dual degree.
  • Minor Authorization/Change Form – required if you choose to ADD and DROP a minor.  You must meet with the specified minor advisor.  A list of minors can be found here 
  • Transcript Request—to request your official transcript be sent elsewhere
  • Note: Leave of Absence and Institute Withdrawal forms must be obtained by meeting with your academic advisor

Other forms…located in the CAD Student Services website

  • Independent Study Form – a proposal must be prepared and approved by your instructor & department chair. *Must be submitted before the end of add/drop week. No late submissions will be accepted.
  • Prior Approvalbefore taking classes at another school, be sure that they will transfer to RIT. For Department course prior approval, contact your department chair
    o For Minor course prior approval, contact the minor advisor
    o For Perspective/Gen Ed course prior approval go to Liberal Arts Student Services Office or email Tammi Wickson at

Grades:  You can view your up-to-date grades on SIS. (Student Information System).  Use this to fill in your planning sheet every term.

Have an email address other than your RIT email address?  Please have your RIT email address forwarded to your other account so that we can get messages to you in a timely manner.  The ITS Help Desk can help (Gannett Hall 7B-1113, 475-HELP).  Remember to check your email regularly.


Information System: SIS Student Information System (RIT login and password)

  • View up-to-date course offerings (open/closed), enroll in classes, view a listing of completed courses and grades, layout your schedule, update address/personal information, track your GPA, view final exam schedule, etc.
  • You can also view/print a list of all the courses you have taken…Unofficial Transcript option (drop down menu) in SIS. Use this Unofficial Transcript to fill out a blank planning sheet.


Just ask!! Your dean, program chair, faculty advisor and academic advisor are all here to support you. Email/meet with them.

Know your UID number, Program, Program Code, and Sub-Plan …they are needed for every form you complete

Liberal Arts:  Student Services Office, Building #6, 2nd floor, (585) 475-2444, Liberal Arts Website

  • Graduation requirements 
  • LA Immersions & Minors
  • Pick a Liberal Arts Immersion (3 upper level LA classes-required) or Minor (5 upper level classes) at the end of your 2nd year.
  • See them for questions on any LA course, transfer credit, course substitutions, prior approvals, concentration/minor Qs, etc.

Make plans for your test scores (AP, IB, or CLEP) and/or transfer credit to be sent to the Office of the Registrar. Contact the other school and request that your official transcript to be sent to RIT.  You will see it in SIS once it has been evaluated by Liberal Arts and your department head.

Need to Withdraw from a course?  Do so online on SIS before the end of Week #11.

Our office is here to help you. We can direct you to campus resources and guide you through your academic career.

Planning SheetsAlways bring your up-to-date Planning Sheet to Student Services!

Quench your thirst for knowledge. RIT has so much to offer, take advantage of all of the opportunities you have while you are here!

Registering for classes: know when to enroll by knowing your enrollment day and time on SIS and resolve any holds on your record before your enrollment appointment (otherwise they will delay your enrollment.)

Be sure to place your course selections (and back-up courses) in your shopping cart and validate the courses regularly.

 Semesters… The Academic School Year is 2017-18

Fall Semester: 2171      Spring Semester: 2175       Summer Session: 2178

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…You will receive notice from Student Services via your RIT Email Account.

  • Dean’s List: GPA 3.4 or higher
  • Academic Probation: 2.0 > GPA > 1.0
  • Academic Suspension:  See us ASAP.

Update your Addresses (Home, Local, Diploma) in SIS.  Correspondence that we send out will go to these addresses.

Visit us.  We’re open from 8:30-4:30 Monday thru Friday in Gannett Hall (7B), room 1075.  Or call us at (585) 475-6045.

Wellness Requirement: 2 different Physical Education Activities are Graduation Requirements.

See the 2016-2017 Undergraduate Bulletin for more information.

X marks the spot.  Get everything in writing.  If you make a special agreement with your advisor, faculty member, or chairperson, it needs to be in your file in Student Services.  [The courses that appear on your planning sheet are required for your degree.  Any course substitutions or changes must be pre-approved by your faculty advisor or chairperson.  Otherwise, courses taken that do not meet requirements will not count toward your degree.]

Your Incomplete grade will roll to an “F” if you do not complete the work in the 2 terms following the class.

Zip up!  Rochester winters are cold!!  Contact your professor(s) prior to missing a class. In the event of extreme illness/accident, please contact us so we can send an emergency memo to your professors. It is your responsibility to keep in touch with your professors and make up the work you miss.