CAD Student Services from A through Z (for undergrads)
- Pre-certification Audit
- A complete audit that identifies the remaining courses needed to fulfill graduation requirements.
- You will receive an email invitation to apply for graduation through SIS. Please do so ASAP.
- Audits are completed in the order we receive the online submission of your Application for Graduation.
- You will receive an email that will list your remaining degree requirements.
- Final Certification
- You must apply to graduate. You will receive an email invitation to apply through SIS.
- Your records will be reviewed at the end of the term in which you indicated on your Application for Graduation.
- If you have met all the requirements for graduation, your degree will be certified.
- If you have notmet all the requirements for graduation, you will receive a letter (sent to your home address) listing the remaining requirements and your expected graduation will be rolled to the next term.
- Pre-certification Audit
- Academic Requirements “AAR” on SIS. Use it to stay on track and to be aware of your degree requirements.
- Keep an up-to-date planning sheet and save copies of any paperwork you receive in your silver orientation folder.
- Post your grades on your Planning Sheet from your grade report on SIS every term.
- Be aware of deadlines (ex. Last day to Add/Drop or Last day to withdraw from a course).
- Follow paperwork through the signature process yourself. Do nottrust someone else to be responsible for your paperwork.
- Meet with your advisor regularlyto stay on track.
- Use the planning sheet that CAD Student Services gives you in Fall Semester. It is essential that you follow the program for the year that you started in. If you misplace your planning sheet, ask the Student Services Office for another copy.
Contacts Financial Aid Samantha Perez 585-475-2186 email@example.com
Disability, Honors, Study Abroad Debbie Kingsbury 585-475-5154 firstname.lastname@example.org
General Education Pre-Approvals Tammi Wickson 585-475-5267 email@example.com
Co-op Graphic, Interior, and New Media Design Gretchen Burruto 585-475-5462 firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography (BFA & BS) Morgan Faas 585-475-5469 email@example.com
Film & Animation (BFA & BS)
Fine Arts Studio, and American Crafts
Medical Illustration, Illustration, and Jim Bondi 585-475-5471 firstname.lastname@example.org
3D Digital Design
Media Arts and Technology and Shauna Newcomb 585-475-5472 email@example.com
Don’t forget to meet with your academic advisor periodically (prior to registration dates).
Early Alert System -Your professor may send you an Academic Alert notice/email regarding your academic performance. Don’t Ignore!
Forms…located on the Office of the Registrar website:http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/registrar/forms
- Change of Program/Plan Form– to change academic programs *Signatures needed of both new and former program directors*
- Double Major Authorization– to officially declare or remove a double major.
- Dual Degree Authorization– to officially declare or remove a dual degree.
- Minor Authorization/Change Form– required if you choose to ADD ORDROP a minor. You must meet with the specified minor advisor. A list of minors can be found at http://www.rit.edu/programs-minors.html.
Other forms…located on the CAD Student Services Website: https://inside.cad.rit.edu/current-students/academic-information/forms/
- FERPA Consent Form– a form you submit to grant permission to release your educational records (i.e. parents or potential employers)
- Independent Study Form– a proposal must be prepared and approved by your instructor & program director. *Must be submitted before the end of add/drop week. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Prior Approval– before taking classes at another school, be sure that they will transfer to RIT.
- For Department course prior approval, contact your program director
- For Minor course prior approval, contact the minor advisor
- For Perspective/Gen Ed course prior approval go to Liberal Arts Student Services Office or email Tammi Wickson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include course name, number, description and name of university.
Grades: You can view your up-to-date grades on SIS. (Student Information System). Use this to fill in your planning sheet every term.
Have an email address other than your RIT email address? Please have your RIT email address forwarded to your other account so that we can get messages to you in a timely manner. The ITS Help Desk can help (Gannett Hall 7B-1113, 475-HELP). Remember to check your email regularly.
Information System: SIS Student Information System https://infocenter.rit.edu/ (login and password required)
- View up-to-date course offerings (open/closed), Enroll in classes, View a listing of completed courses and grades, Layout your schedule, Update address/personal information, Track your GPA, View final exam schedule, Request official transcripts, etc.
- You can also view/print a list of all the courses you have taken…Unofficial Transcript option (drop down menu) in SIS.
Just ask!! Your dean, program director, faculty advisor and academic advisor are all here to support you. Email/meet with them.
Know your UID number, Program, Program Code, and Sub-Plan …they are needed for every form you complete.
Liberal Arts (Gen Ed): Student Services Office, Liberal Arts Hall, 2ndfloor, (585) 475-2444, http://www.rit.edu/cla/student-services/overview
- Contact: Tammi Wickson email@example.com
- Graduation requirements: (2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin) https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/registrar/course-catalogs
- Immersions & Minors: http://www.rit.edu/programs/immersions
- Pick an Immersion (3 upper level classes from approved list) This is required for your degree. Minors are optional. Plan early in your studies.
Make plans for your test scores (AP, IB, or CLEP) and/or transfer credit to be sent to the Office of the Registrar. Contact the other school and request that your official transcript to be sent to RIT. You will see it in SIS once it has been evaluated by Liberal Arts and your department head.
Need to withdraw from a course? Do so online on SIS before the end of Week #11.
Our office is here to help you. We can direct you to campus resources and guide you through your academic career.
Planning Sheets: Keep your Planning Sheet up-to-date and bring it with you when you visit Student Services. Use it with theAcademic Requirements “AAR” on SIS. Both tools will help you stay on track and be aware of your degree requirements.
Quench your thirst for knowledge. RIT has so much to offer, take advantage of all of the opportunities you have while you are here!
Registering for classes: know when to enroll by knowing your enrollment day and time on SIS and resolve any holds on your record before your enrollment appointment (otherwise they will delay your enrollment.)
Be sure to place your course selections (and back-up courses) in your shopping cart and validate the courses regularly.
Semesters… The Academic School Year is 2018-2019
Fall Semester:2181 Spring Semester:2185 Summer Session:2188
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…You will receive notice from Student Services via your RIT Email Account.
- Dean’s List: GPA 3.4 or higher
- Academic Probation: 2.0 > GPA > 1.0
- Academic Suspension: Contact us ASAP.
Update your Addresses (Home, Local, and Diploma) in SIS. Correspondence that we send out will go to these addresses.
Visit us. We’re open from 8:30-4:30 Monday thru Friday in Gannett Hall, room 1075. Or call us at (585) 475-6045.
Wellness Requirement:2differentPhysical Education Activities are Graduation Requirements.
See the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Bulletin at https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/registrar/course-catalogs for more information.
X marks the spot. Get everything in writing. If you make a special agreement with your advisor, faculty member, or program director, it needs to be in your file in Student Services. [The courses that appear on your planning sheet are required for your degree. Any course substitutions or changes must be pre-approved by your faculty advisor or program director. Otherwise, courses taken that do not meet requirements will notcount toward your degree.]
Your Incomplete grade will roll to an “F” if you do not complete the work in the 2 terms following the class.
Zip up! Rochester winters are cold!! Contact your professor(s) prior to missing a class. In the event of extreme illness/accident, please contact us so we can send an emergency memo to your professors. It is your responsibility to keep in touch with your professors and make up the work you miss.